I was at a wonderful quilt retreat this past weekend. From Friday afternoon until Saturday evening, I pretty much focused 100% on putting together the blocks for this quilt. It’s made using (nearly) all my batik orphan blocks (i.e. blocks left over from previous projects, reject blocks, practice blocks), several improv filler blocks and the Ravelry 2BOM blocks.
It is always fun for me putting quilts like this together. I view it as a puzzle. First I lay out the blocks and try to distribute/balance the colors/sizes into a pleasing arrangement (trust me, I don’t spend MUCH time doing this – I mean really…..with a quilt like this, I don’t think it matters much WHICH block you put WHERE). Then I randomly figure out 3-5 ‘sections’ and start working on those sections. The sections are then made to fit and joined together. I did a blog post early in the year about how I do this – I think it was for the Gypsy Wife 2 quilt.
I’m also PRETTY DARN SURE that this is the last BAQ (Big Ass Quilt) that I will be doing. I know, I know…..I’ve said that before but I mean it this time. It will have to be a mighty big deal for me to piece another BAQ.
Now back to FMQing Magnolia. I started the last border this morning. Feathers. I need my head examined. I’m also putting together a little ‘class’ for a local quilt group on improv/freeform/wonky/liberated techniques. AND, I’m working on an idea to combine wool dyeing, Shibori tying and Wagga quilts.
Plus, I want to start on my Hundertwasser urinal-inspired quilt. I know you can’t wait to hear more about THAT one.