I’m enjoying looking at the texture of She Let Go while it rests on our dining room table.  The shadows play with it all day.

I like to cuddle with a quilt that has been hand quilted – but I like the look of a quilt that has been free motion quilted.  Even if the snot has been quilted out of it.

I’m working on a top right now using my indigo fabrics that I intend to doodle quilt.  It will have to wait awhile though as it is too hot in the little house to have a larger quilt on my lap.  I can’t show it to you though ‘cuz it has swear words in it and my mama don’t like it when I swear.  (No….I’m serous….it DOES have swear words in it!!!)

On a sad note…Pfaffy died.  She was a lovely machine.  I bought her in 1994 when I graduated from pharmacy school.  Twenty-four years old.  She blew out her mother board.  Luckily, Jani Janome has stepped up to the plate to fill the gap until I obtain a new machine.  I want to test drive the Quilt Expression 4.2 one of these days.  However, I have a lead on an older Pfaff that is looking for a good home as the owner is potentially moving to a care facility.

Time for lunch.


60×60 finished

Many techniques used on this one.  Improv piecing, machine quilting, embroidery, hand quilting.   It started as demonstration blocks for a workshop I led in August.

I’m not sure if you can see them or not but there are ‘shadow’ women embroidered around this quilt.  Women of different shapes and sizes.  Also words.  This has a body diversity/body acceptance statement associated with it.  A little bit of anger at the societal focus and societal bigotry toward women who don’t fit into a certain size range.

I like it.

It was said to me yesterday that my work has a unique look to it.  Maybe.  I’m not sure.  Sometimes I think I have a distinct look but then I look at the bigger picture, I look at other improv quilters and I’m not sure.  I guess the bottom line for me is that I am enjoying what I am making.  I think I take inspiration from others and then hopefully create my own piece rather than copying someone else.



This slideshow requires JavaScript.

She Let Go – finished


This slideshow requires JavaScript.



Spinning wheels

I know I want to do something new and different (for me) but I don’t know what that is quite yet.  Instead, I just keep finishing UFOs.  One of these days I’m going to break free and figure out what is next on my list.  More Alcohol Ink?  Cold Wax Painting?  Continue to quilt only in a different style?  Not sure yet.  In the meantime, I’m working on this more traditional piece (Camelot) while FMQing on She Let Go.

My 16 blocks.  Camelot by Trish Harper in QuiltMania magazine a few years back.  Blocks are hand pieced.  Mainly William Morris fabrics.

IMG_3421 (1)

This is the original quilt from QuiltMania Magazine.  Note the solid muslin background.  I changed that as I thought it was a bit ‘blah’.


This is my pile of neutrals I’ve gathered.  I’m thinking to do an improv-style border.  Using cross/plus blocks, checkerboards and strings.  I’m undecided about the sawtooth outer border – I’m not sure that I’ll need it once I do an improv border with all these fabrics.


She Let Go – Progress


Here is a slide show of the progress on She Let Go.  I think I’m nearing completion on the top.  I like most everything about it.  My plan is to let it sit for a day or two before I finalize the piecing.  Today I made some major moves on it and am more satisfied with it.

I’m thinking to do a trapunto-type process behind the words so that they pop.  I also think I’m going to doodle quilt it; or ‘quilt the snot out of it’ as my friend Susan says.  Sweetie is warmed up and ready to quilt.

My other thought is to use all the left over fabrics for the back.  This is the 2nd quilt I’ve made with this collection of fabrics and I’m ready to move on to something else.  Perhaps I’ll make it a double-sided quilt – I like that idea.  The only thing is that I will make the pieces larger so that I don’t have a huge build-up of seams.

I have quite a few left over ‘building blocks’ – especially the diamond shaped string pieces (which I love but they just didn’t work) – so there might be a smallish wall piece in the making before I totally put this color palette to bed.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

A Wandering Crystal

Come wander and wonder with me!


Where the Frugal Widow quilts, sews, cooks and lives

Catbird Quilt Studio

Be powerful. CREATE!

Pokey Bolton

Thoughts on Crafting A Life

Absoluterevo's Blog

Just another WordPress.com site

albedo too

more chronicles of concupiscientia oculorum

Tamara Christie

I'm perfectly me. Imperfectly me.

Zen Bag Lady

Observations from the other side of mid-life

The Slow Stitching Movement

Creating, Promoting, and Sustaining a New Vision in Stitching and Needlecraft

Kathleen Quilts

Make Beautiful Things and Be Nice

Tim Latimer - Quilts etc

My adventures in Quilting and Gardening

Zen Cloth

Tranquility translated by handstitching cloth.


my creative pursuits with quilts and knits

Cyndi Souder

Art Quilter, Teacher, Lecturer

Through Our Hands

Discover the best of contemporary art quilts, painting and mixed media. Curated by Annabel Rainbow, Laura Kemshall and Linda Kemshall.

Hunter's Design Studio

Cool patterns + sassy stuff! And the home of We Are $ew Worth It!