My plan, thanks to the encouragement of SueK, was to do the Ad Hock Improv Quilters Link-up AHIQ link-up each month. I’m a little behind as Tuesday was the date for February.
Here are two improv pieces I’m working on. Both were challenges from Sherri Lynn Wood’s Facebook group.
This one started from a picture that was posted in the FB group of a building. I did some cut and paste work with Photoshop elements and came up with an idea. I’m not totally over the moon about it but I think with quilting it will improve. It’s small – 17×20-ish.
This was my photoshop mock-up that I was working from:
Next is a group score that we put together. We were to use an unusual fabric or a fabric you didn’t love (mine is a pink linen tablecloth that was used for the background). Another element of the quilt was the idea of a ‘deconstructed New York Beauty block’.
This is what I came up with. The black spots are tears. Lady Liberty is crying. I pulled in more pinks (thanks to my peeps that contributed pink scraps!) to tie in with the Pink Pussyhat project. I used Misty Fuze and raw edge stitching. Again, I’m not 100% thrilled with it but am treating it as a learning experiment. 17×20-ish in size.
And finally, here’s my take on Chinese Coins. I made this baby quilt sized top with left overs from the bibs and my bright scrap bag. It was quick and easy. I did freeform cutting on the coin strips but did use the ruler to square up the three sections. I tie dyed a linen tablecloth (thanks Bev!) in pink (thanks Jenny for the dye packet!) that I will use for the back. My plan is to get it quilted yet this week – probably in a very simple walking foot pattern.
So, that’s it for this week. Three pieces that need to be quilted. In between quilting these 3, I’ll be prepping my next 15 Glorious Hexagon blocks. I’ll post pictures of them soon. I’m really enjoying the EPP (English Paper Piecing) process this time. I think because there is variety in the blocks rather than just one hexagon after another. Plus, selecting the fabrics is fun.