Magnolia (pattern, with modifications, by Sue Spargo) is on the table ready to be pin basted and then FMQ’d. I decided to go with a lightweight flannel for the back and a lightweight black cotton batting. I need to place an order for Isacord thread for the green section but will be able to start as I have both blue and red threads that will work.
My quilting plan is to outline stitch the appliqué, add some stitching to the appliqué pieces, miscellaneous motifs in the backgrounds of each blocks in the red and green borders and then do some type of feathers in the dark, outer border. Mainly just use it as a piece to practice my FMQ skills – perhaps even push myself a little bit with those pesky feathers!
Recap: Most of the wools were dyed by me using Dharma Acid Dyes. Centre block design was changed from the pattern. Quilt is about 70″ square. The whip stitch appliqué is done with the Aurifil Lana wool thread that I won last year. It’s beautiful thread – I highly recommend it. The embellished stitches were done with various threads that I’ve collected over the years. I used Sue Spargo’s stitchery book for ideas.