The Ravelry Quilt group is doing a BOM program starting in April. Basically, we’re going to make 2 blocks a month for 6 months. Each person will then figure out how they want to use their 12 blocks. Some of us are thinking to add in additional filler blocks and orphan blocks.
One option with quilts like this is to plan out your spacing using computer programs or old fashioned graph paper. Another option is to wing it. I’m sure you’re not surprised that I’m of the wing-it variety.
While I was putting together my 2nd batch of Gypsy Wife blocks, I took some pictures to try and show how I do these types of quilts. This isn’t a step-by-step tutorial – rather just an overview of my process.
This was my original idea. I wanted quite a bit of negative space or non-pieced space in order to practice my free motion quilting (FMQ). I put the green and the black on the design mattress and then just randomly placed blocks.
Once I had a basic layout, I started working from the upper right to the lower right. My thought was to make 3-4 panels that I would eventually sew together.
You can see above the first 3 sections that I pieced together. See how I added different sized strips and squares to each of them to make them fit with the larger blocks? Also, on the lower right hand picture – 3 pinwheel blocks sewn together fit with the larger square-in-a-square block. Then, to make it wide enough, I added those strips on the left hand side.
Next step – sew these 3 sections together (above). As I recall, this section was maybe 15-18″ wide. You can see the section in the lower right hand section of the first panel.
Below is another example of how I pieced blocks and add-ons together like a puzzle. Those neon green/grey & block sections were from another quilt. Same with the pieces above the heart.
First I built the sections (keeping in mind the width that I wanted them to be), then I added these sections together to form panels (see below).
I ended up with 3 panels (above). My final decision (see below) was whether to add the smaller square-in-a-square blocks to both the green and black sections or only the green section. I decided on just the green section. I machine appliquéd them.
I hope this helps explain my process. Next step – the quilting. Hopefully I’ll get it pinned this week.