I’ve been going to do a post or two about K3’s quilt but it just seems a bit overwhelming so I’ve been putting it off.
As you may recall, when we were back in the USA last year, K3 and I were talking and it came to light that he would like a quilt made out of his military uniforms (4 different styles of fabric over his 25+ year career) and his collection of Crown Royal (CR) bags. I jumped on the request! I really do like making special quilts for people.
Home I came with several uniform shirts, his collection of Crown Royal bags and my friend Candy’s husband’s collection of Crown Royal bags.
I also came home with the book from Sherri Lynn Woods called Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters. This book is amazing. I’m pretty sure I’ve mentioned that here before. I have not bought a more inspiring quilt book in – well – in FOREVER. I’ve been doing improv/wonky/liberated quilt making for several years now but this book has given me ideas I’ve never considered – plus it brings in the spiritual/emotional/meditative angle. A total win/win in my opinion.
So, back to K3’s quilt. He gave me free rein. Potentially he’ll regret that as what is developing is a bit OUT THERE on the creative front. However – I’m sure he’ll love it because not only does it reflect him and his life and career, but it reflects me and my creative path.
First, on the recommendation of K2, I googled CR quilts. And military quilts. A TON of ideas out there but they were all just a little on the safe side for what I was looking for. I decided to embrace the improv/wonky/liberated style for this quilt.
I started by developing my palette of fabrics or ‘curating’ my fabrics as Sherri says. (Just that word – Curate – makes me feel like an artist.) I decided a quilt made of 4 different camouflage fabrics and purple CR bags would be a tad boring. Digging through my stash, I came up with the stack of Cherrywood (a Minnesota company) hand-dyed fabrics that I had bought in Houston. Some of them were a perfect match, many of them blended in and some of them just added the spark/splash of unusual color that was needed. I also used the remains of my neutral Japanese taupe collection.
Once I had my fabrics curated, I opened the book and started on Score 1. I believe there are 10 scores in this book – each a different style of improv piecing. The first one is called Floating Squares. I selected 3 fabrics (dark camo, beige and a warm chocolate brown). My squares were more rectangles but I like what I did. I will probably add more once I get further along in the lay-out process.
In the meantime, I decided to make a couple wonky stars. I used Bonnie Hunter’s Maverick Star tutorial. I also liked the idea of taking some of the CR bags and using them without much modification. I came up with the idea to appliqué the ‘tongues’ onto a long strip of fabric
Next, I was on to Score 2 – which I’ll cover in the next blog post.