This clue just hasn’t gone well for me. We’re talking about the Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt Allietare (Clue 4 link-up post).
Let me list my issues:
- It’s been bloody hot this week so my time in the little house is limited to early mornings (6AM-10AM) as it’s beastly hot and stuffy out there the rest of the day.
- I decided to use the speciality rulers on this clue to STRETCH myself. My fall back technique is rectangles and squares. Well, I used the wrong ruler so all my pieces had the wrong angle on them and didn’t fit up with the Easy Angle triangle pieces.
- I am running short on red fabrics (see #2). After cutting all the red pieces incorrectly, I only had 8 reds with enough fabric to cut a 2nd time. I needed 30 sets of red pieces. I COULD do 3+ of each color, but I prefer things to be as scrappy as possible. Yet, I don’t want to buy more fabrics (dang Austerity challenge).
- I was on such a roll with cutting my red fabrics that I decided to cut all my neutral fabrics. I also cut them all incorrectly. (Luckily, I have plenty of neutrals to use.)
- In frustration, I switched back to the rectangle method with my easy angle triangles. However, I failed to read the directions, pressed my seams incorrectly so (of course) they didn’t fit together.
I then stopped sewing for the day. Some days you just have to walk away and shut the door!
My dilemma…..buy more reds? Use each red 3 times and therefore have it less scrappy? OR……beg reds off my quilt peeps. I chose door number three and sent a couple requests out to local quilt peeps. Friends to the rescue! Within a few hours I had 10 new-to-me red fabrics in my chubby little hand from Ms. RM (thanks again!). Two more peeps came through for me with offers to go stash diving in their scraps so I’m back in business! Five sets completed. Twenty-five to go. And if all goes well, there will be 30 different reds used.