Continuing on with my process…..I used a solid brown/black for the shadow of the cross. I appliquéd the cross down with a machine stitch.
The one cross looked pretty lonely by itself so I added 5 ‘shadow’ crosses (rather than the 2 smaller crosses on the bulletin). They are nearly the same color as the background and also of eco-dyed fabrics (cotton). I ripped the fabric so they have a raw edge.
After sewing the shadow crosses down, I did some simple embroidery on them. I also embroidered a crown of thorns on the big cross.
The other embroidery that I did was to embroider the names of all mom’s children & partners and their kids and grandkids around the crosses (38 names I think). I also embroidered the words to the song “On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross” in the upper right background of the piece. I considered doing this embroidery with the machine – in FMQ-style but prefer hand embroidery so went that direction.
Now I was ready to quilt it. I used Quilters Lite for the batting as I wanted it to be a very lightweight quilt. I considered putting a sleeve on it so she could use it on the wall, but she really doesn’t have any wall space so I didn’t. My thought was that it’s a nice light weight quilt to have on her lap when there is just a slight chill in the air.
The back of the quilt:
I combined both machine and hand quilting. I did FMQing on the crumb pieced section of the cross with a wood grain motif, the shadow of the cross with pebbles, and the hill with a overall flower and echo. Then I hand quilted the background in a cross hatch, every 2 inches, using Finca size 12 thread (and my favourite green painters tape!).
Labeled the back with another cross and bound it and it was ready to go.
I really like it! I thoroughly enjoyed the creative process. I was quite sad when it was finished and had it lying on our couch for several days to enjoy it before giving it away.
Fingers crossed she likes it.