Top and back are finished. Plan to pin baste it next week and then get stuck into FMQing it. Thanks to Rayna and Jean and everyone else doing freeform piecing for the inspiration! I love this technique of just randomly putting pieces together and can’t wait to start on my next one. It will be smaller though – and I’ll use thinner strips. I haven’t decided on the fabric palette yet.
Recap: It started out as a boring quilt. Loved the soft colors and liked the wonky blocks but it just wasn’t happening for me. So, I cut it into pieces. Then I spliced in some red fabric. I kept playing with it until I was relatively pleased with the arrangement. Toward the end, it felt lopsided so after some suggestions from forum gals, I cut down the top, right and left borders and I like it better now. I considered adding paint to the front but resisted (for now).
The back was made with some RFD (ready for dye) fabric I had on hand. First I cut it into 1/2 meter pieces, wet it and placed it in baggies. Then I added diluted acrylic paint (yellow & grey) to the baggies and squished it around. This gave background color. (The yellow is brighter than I hoped for but it will work. I’m not very proficient on mixing colors yet.) I let the fabric dry in the sun and then washed it to make sure the color was holding. Then I started playing with stencils and odd objects and some more paint and fabric pens. I did add a fabric medium to the acrylic paint which helps keep the painted surface from getting hard. I pressed everything after it dried and then washed it in hot water (again to make sure everything was permanent).
Below is a slide show of the progression from boring to (hopefully) not so boring. Now, I need to figure out how to quilt it.