This week with Leah, it was a recap and revisit week. I took the opportunity to work on another quilt top that was in THE PILE, another fugly-ish quilt top that I roughed up with some rusting. I like it much better after the rust-job. I like it so much after the quilting that I might even put it in the local show in June.
In the narrow sashing strips, I did a trailing leaf. In the piano key sections (oh, I wish I could play the piano well!), I did a simple straight line in the middle of each strip with the darning foot (as opposed to the walking foot). Because of using the darning foot and the FMQ process, my lines aren’t perfect – but I think that adds to the charm.
I used Isacord thread. I am in love with Isacord thread and have found an excellent supplier here in Australia called Sewing Selections. Their service is amazing and they have good prices (for Australia).
I have gotten in the habit of starting with a new needle (Schmetz microtex 80) each time I start a new FMQ project. I’m saving the used needles to use either for piecing or my fabric/paper projects (more on that in another post).
Quilting through rusty bits is a little ‘crunchy’. It’s hard to explain but the sound is just a little different when quilting through the rusty bits than when quilting through a non-rusty bit. It will be interesting to see how these rusty quilts hold up over time. I must remember that every 6 months or so I need to give them a soak in soda ash to stop the ongoing decay process.
Binding, sleeve and label have been attached and already sewn down. It’s ready for the quilt show in June!
This is my first Finish it Up Friday link also. Thanks Crazy Mom Quilts for the inspiration!