You may remember this beautiful quilt top that my sister, K2, made to celebrate the life of our Grandma Helen. She made one for my 4 siblings, my mother, my 2 nieces and a few other people. She made mine out of hand-dyed fabrics that I had done a few years back and ‘dumped’ on her.
Finally, we had a couple days of dry, hot weather so I pulled out the Golden Fluid Acrylic paints and a couple hunks of white cotton and went to town working on the back for it. My hope is to machine quilt this – once I am a bit more experienced at FMQ. I was going to buy a back but then I thought……why not hand-dye one to keep with the theme of the top fabrics?
1. Wet the fabric thoroughly.
2. Dilute the Golden Fluid Acrylic paints to about 25% paint and 75% water. I didn’t want deep colors so that’s why I went with this ratio. I used 5 colors. Recommendations online are to dilute 1:1.
3. Spread wet fabric out on picnic table which has been covered with a painting drop cloth.
4. Using an eye dropper, squirt paint onto fabric. Once paint is applied, I ‘mopped’ up the paint that had soaked through the fabric, swished it around to give it a mottled look and then re-spread the fabric onto the table top.
5. Add more paint as needed.
6. Cover with ferns, leaves, vines cut from the front veranda. Didn’t have any rock salt so sprinkled it with rice to add a little more dimension/texture.
7. Then covered with grape netting to hold everything in place. Let it dry for a good hour in the sunshine.
8. I ‘set’ the paint by leaving it in the sun for another few hours. Then I let it cure for a few days. I’m not sure if this is necessary or not but I read about it somewhere and I figure it can’t hurt. After a few days, I popped it in the washing machine for a standard wash, dry on the line and then press it.
Repeated for 2nd piece of fabric.
My goal was to have a muted softly sun-dyed print. I love the fern print – and check out the imprint of the rice…..this fabric dyeing is so simple but so addictive!
Now all that’s left is to piece it into a back. Oh, and quilt it. And bind it. And label it. Guess it’s not quite done yet…
I had some paint left and didn’t want it to go to waste so I put some chunks of an old satin wedding dress into some baggies, added some paint, sealed the bag until the paint was absorbed and then spread them in the yard to dry. I’ll probably use this fabric for meditation eye bags for my yoga peeps.
(note….some of the pictures are out of order…..I couldn’t get them to load in the order I wanted them to.)